As a Mom, I personally struggle with making time for me. Don’t get me wrong, I love doing things for my family. However, it can get overwhelming! Cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, paying bills, taxi driver, cheerleader, educator, caregiver, and so much more. You may think there is so much to do and not enough hours in the day that taking time for yourself leaves you with a sense of guilt.
As mothers, as women, we have difficulty taking time for ourselves and prioritizing self-care. We give and give and give and don’t pause long enough to take care of ourselves. Do you remember, the saying, “You can’t pour from an empty cup”? But when your body, mind and soul are refreshed your cup overflows. Consider one of these ideas to fill your cup and take time for yourself.
Here are 10 Self-Care Ideas for the Overwhelmed Mom
- Sit outside and enjoy the sights, sounds and smell of nature
- Paint your nails
- Read your favorite magazine or a chapter in a book
- Give yourself a foot bath with Epsom salts and a few drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Light a candle and meditate
- Color, draw, doodle or journal
- Listen to music
- Go out to lunch with a good friend
- Try a new lipstick color
- Go to Target alone with a latte, and get yourself something frivolous
To be at your best for others, you have to be at YOUR BEST SELF! As Audre Lorde once said, self-care “is not self-indulgence, it is self-preservation”. Take care of yourself, start today, you are worth it!